Italian Basil Lemonade

Tuesday, July 8, 2014



Look at me posting twice in one week! A few weeks ago, Michael and I had a marathon movie night watching the Godfather, and I made an Italian meal which would make our ancestors quite proud. That morning I visited a farmers market where I got fresh local cheese, olives and meats for an antipasto platter. I also grabbed some lemons for good old fashioned Italian basil lemonade. It turned out so amazing that I've been making it every three days to keep us in constant stock. Nothing is better than lemonade on hot summer days and basil is one of our favorite flavors in the world so it really is a match made in heaven... Or Italy rather. 




Ingredients:

2 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice (12 to 15 lemons)
4 cups of cold water
2 cups of basil simple syrup (recipe below) 

Combine lemon juice, water and simple syrup adding more or less water to adjust sweetness. 

Basil simple syrup: 

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
Medium bunch of basil, washed and stemmed. 

Heat sugar, water and basil on the stove top until sugar is dissolved. (10 to 15 minutes)  Strain out basil leaves and discard.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger